Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tribute to Dr. David Ahenakew

I first remember meeting Mr. Ahenakew when I was a little wee girl known as Mrs Chicken. Mr. Ahenakew was my dad's (Sterling Brass) good friend, I mostly remember he and my dad joking and laughing, always teasing one another. I did not know that both Men were warriors of the Native People of Canada. I did not know that they would both change the world we live in. I did not know that they would both spark a new era for First Nations rights and freedoms. To me, little old Mrs. Chicken, Mr. Ahenakew was my dad's friend.

I am sad on this day to know that one of the Great Warriors of the First Nations People of Canada has been laid to rest. I am however compelled to say this, Mr. Ahenakew fought courageously for his people and the things he believed in, and for that I am thankful.

My deepest condolences to the whole Atakakoop First Nation and the Ahenakew Family, I will always and forever cherish those memories from my childhood and I will always be grateful for the many sacrifices that were made by your Okima.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad you stopped in, please leave a comment: